Jun 20, 2007

The TV Season: A Report Card

New Shows (either to tv or just me):

Heroes - I waited and waited for this show to be the show I wanted it to be all season long as it built toward a monumental end that I just didn't find at all monumental. I really hope it relies less on its serialized nature and focus on telling good stories in the world it has built next season. C+
Studio 60 - this was the little show that couldn't. I think it got better and better as almost every episode passed and Sorkin's preaching really played well with me (as it didn't in West Wing), but it was never able to create and maintain the kind of momentum it needed to survive. B+
Veronica Mars - this was new to me. I watched seasons 1 and 2 over the summer and got hooked. It's bittersweet to start watching a show that I think was probably doomed from the start of the season. At the very least, it got me hooked on my number 1 crush, Kristen Bell. A-

Returning Faves:

24 - Where do you go after detonating a nuclear bomb during the season premiere? The writers of 24 struggled to answer that question over and over and at one point even rebooted the series with a lame Chinese subplot. Powers Boothe as VP Daniels sweated intensity and was maybe the real reason I kept watching. C-
Grey's Anatomy - I really liked a lot about this season. There were a couple things I didn't (George/Izzie for example) but I still really enjoy the interplay of these immensely fragile and imperfect characters. I thought the season finale was particularly great. B
Lost -Best show on tv, bar none. The show started slowly but really picked up pace and never let up. I can't say enough good things about it. A
Prison Break- I didn't know how this show would reinvent itself outside of the walls of Fox River (I mean, what show needs to reinvent itself in year 2?) But William Fichtner made this over the top thrill ride beat 24 at its own game. B
Sopranos - say what you want about the now infamous series finale, Sopranos managed to do in its last season what it did during its entire run - keep people talking. Was it disjointed? Yes? Gimmicky? Yes. But it continued to capture the human psyche better than anything else on tv. B-

Others:
Dancing With the Stars - My guilty pleasure gets better and better with each season!
Blade the Series - I still miss this. When will it come out on DVD?
Entourage - Still loving it.
Scrubs - Completely tired of it. I think syndication killed this show for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dwain, Grey's Anatomy and Lost both suck.
That is all.